Thursday, February 24, 2011

Does sugar affect your body negatively?

I love sugar, but I probably eat WAY too much of it. I've heard the same comments on sugar my entire life: Sugar's bad for you, Don't eat to much or you'll get sick, Eat something good for you before hand. My parents and teachers have told me those things over and over so I pretty much have it in my head that sugar's bad for my body. But is that necessarily true?

The bad things:

Sugar can do many bad things to your body like, produce acid stomach, contribute to diabetes, promote tooth decay, cause hypertension, increase total cholesterol, suppress the immune system, upset the body`s mineral balance, raise adrenaline levels in children, and so much more. There are way too many more for me to name off before you get bored and leave my page. :)

The not so bad things:

Sugar cane is a natural sugar that many people think is good for them. It does have some good things in it like: fewer calories then normal sugar, it's good for digestion, can work as a mild laxative because of its high potassium content, and it has lots of magesium and calcium. Other than that there is not much nutrients to it.

Substitutes:

Many diabetic people and others who don't want the calories from regular sugar use sugar substitutes. Things like splenda and other big brands that claim to have the answer to most sugar problems. Many substitutes are chemically treated so it makes them no better than regular sugars. But some are naturally sweetened. It still doesn't make them good for you but it doesn't make it bad for you either.
Many people believe that sugar is the #1 cause to disease. It can even cause more damage than drugs or alcohol.

A little sugar may be good for you to maintain your blood sugar level. But sugar mainly destroys and makes people sick. I guess that answers our question "Does sugar affect your body negatively?" The answer would be yes.

3 comments:

  1. This was easy to read and not so long that it lost my attention. I think out of everyone, you came up with the most positive aspects of sugar, even if it was specifically about sugar cane. You still showed how the negative outweighs the postive effects by far, though. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your beginning, I think that speaks for every kid and teen. And I don't think I noticed any spelling errors like I have in past posts. ;) Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the information you collected for this post, and I like how easy it was to read too :) Great job Ashley!

    ReplyDelete